ATX Cardiac Lifestyle is a completely new program of cardiac health promotion and stress management that focuses on the special needs of heart patients and their spouses. The ATX Cardiac Lifestyle Program is modeled after the internationally renowned program developed by M. Mala Cunningham, Ph.D. (go to cardiacyoga.com for details) in conjunction with cardiologists and a board of directors.
The benefits of this new program are the following:
- Decrease blood pressure, heart rate, inflammation, and blood glucose levels.
- Decrease the effects of harmful LDL cholesterol.
- Improved respiratory function and circulation.
- Improved flexibility, balance, muscle tone, and strength-building.
- Used as a preventative measure or after a cardiac event.
- Improved stress management and mental and emotional health.
This comprehensive program integrates the best practices of physical therapy, cardiac yoga, gentle stretching, meditation, breath work, progressive muscle relaxation, and healing imagery techniques. The class is designed as follows:
- Introduction with sharing, quiet time of focus, and relaxation.
- Gentle warm-ups and modified postures* (seated, standing, floor, or mixed).
- Deep relaxation and healing imagery.
- Group discussion, heart-healthy meal planning, educational seminars, and goal-setting.
- Program ends with a brief moment of focus and relaxation.
* Program flow of warm-ups and yoga postures will vary depending on abilities and comfort level of class participants/spouses.
The intention of the program is to improve overall physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social well-being for the participant.